Saturday, March 19, 2011

Demolition Derby Doesn't Have Anything on Dairy Queen

In my lifetime, I've been to my share of demolition derbies.  Yes, mainly from when I was younger and not in recent years, but I cannot imagine that they've changed that much.  So, let's think back to what you usually see at a demolition derby:  1) rednecks, 2) screaming, 3) loud cars with no exhaust, 4) cars/trucks running into each other for no reason, and 5) did I mention people who just don't know how to act socially (oh yeah, I already said rednecks)!



Most people who need a good laugh or simply need some type of entertainment go to the demolition derbies.  Well, there is no need for that!  Because the demolition derbies in Texarkana have nothing on the local Dairy Queen in our neighborhood.  Yesterday, on a rare treat (Matt was off work and home with us), we took the kids to get ice cream at Dairy Queen.  We thought we'd have some nice family time while enjoying our M&M Blizzards and Dipped Cones. 



Little did we know that when we chose to sit outside that we'd be in for some entertainment. 

After Landry picked us out a picnic table to sit at, we began eating our ice cream and visiting like normal.  However, it didn't take long to see that this Dairy Queen visit was not going to be like most others.  Within five minutes, we saw a redneck family walking out with a crying/screaming baby and their two little girls had on light up jelly shoes.  (Come on now...isn't that from the 80s??  Yes, people keep telling me the 80s are coming back in style, but I'm struggling with that!  ::And, if you or you're child or someone you know has these shoes, I apologize.  I have no hard feelings toward you; it's just not my particular taste!::  )  

Okay, so that was the first of the entertainment.  Secondly, there was a middle-aged man sitting at another table near us that apparently liked to talk to himself.  He had a WalMart bag sitting on the table along with the local newspaper.  He would read for a minute and then randomly start talking outloud.  I never could understand what he was saying, but he was definitely entertaining and animated!  (Yes, judge me again as I judge myself for judging him.  I know it's not the best thing to do because he probably had some type of disability, but he definitely made my afternoon by reminding myself of how lucky I am!)

Now, if that wasn't enough entertainment, our picnic table was near the drive-thru.  There was a man around my age that was at the drive-thru window getting ready to pay for his order, when out of no where he gets rear-ended by an elderly woman.  Wow!  I'm not even sure she knew what she had done until he managed to get out of his truck and check to see if there was any damage done.  He informed her that everything was okay, and she simply apologized once and went on like it was no big deal!  Matt and I just laughed; our kids were oblivious to all of this.  How nice it would be to be so innocent again!  :)

We were then finishing up our ice cream and getting ready to leave when a repairman was backing up to pull out.  He literally came within a quarter of an inch from backing into a van behind him.  Matt and I were just so tense waiting to see which demoliton derby entry was going to be the winner.  Who would have thought that Dairy Queen could put on this kind of show??

All of this made for a wonderful afternoon, but we considered ourselves pretty lucky to just go to DQ and be able to actually get what we ordered.  Typically, when we go they are at least out of one thing we order:  M&M's, Dr. Pepper, hot fudge, etc.  It never fails!  That's a long standing joke in our household as well.  If one of us goes on a "DQ run" (as we call it), then we always have at least one or two back up items just in case they're out of something!  Pretty sad, right?  We're just waiting for the day when they tell us they are out of ice cream!  :)

So, if you and your family are really needing some entertainment, feel free to come by our local Dairy Queen!  I promise it will be better than the local demolition derby!  And, if you're lucky, you'll get to meet several of my former students.  Apparently, there is a requirement to have had Mrs. Binning as your English teacher in order to work there.  LOL!  (No comments, please!) 

Hope you've all enjoyed your weekend/spring break!  And just remember, that life is such a beautiful ride.  Enjoy it and God bless!



Crystal

1 comment:

  1. They were actually out of ice cream one time when we went!! ha! We always joked about it too. Loved the story. Sounds just like I remember it. :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete